Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homage to Chihuly

Our most recent class session was on 3D art. There were many fabulous projects, but my favorites were our Dale Chihuly inspired pieces. The kids were all into the eye patch, but I refrained from giving them out or wearing one myself. I stressed the cooperative nature of his work. Due to his various injuries, he relies on a team of artists to create the art he designs. So we worked as a team to create two installations for our studio.


 This one was done by my younger artists, ranging in age from 4 to 9. I forget where I got this idea and I apologize. We watercolored coffee filters, dried them over a form and glued them down to circular styrofoam bases which were then attached to the wall.

This was the bigger kids' installation. This idea came from Artsonia. We decorated plastic wine glasses with Sharpies then melted them in a toaster oven. The services of the fire department were not needed and the studio is still standing!

And of course we had to make projects we could take home. This time we decorated punch cups. Conveniently, they had a circle of thinner plastic on the bottom which melted away leaving a way to hang them. 

I must say the kiddos were all into melting plastic. I can't imagine how excited they would be to see glass melt.

If you want to know more about Chihuly glass forms, check out this website!

________________________________________________________________________

 * Need further evidence I spell procrastination with a capital P? These projects were completed in early June!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any tips for melting plastic in the toaster oven, or should I use common sense? Also, did you melt all the wine glasses together, or did you glue them together after each was melted individually. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete